Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: Dan Goodman <Dan.Goodman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:23:56 -0400
Randall R Schulz wrote:

I must be missing something. I'm running two openSUSE 11.1 systems with
XFS root file systems that boot with GRUB. What are the full set of
criteria for encountering this bad interaction between XFS root file
systems and GRUB? (By the way, my /boot is on my root file system, i.e.
XFS.)

As Heinz Diehl pointed out, earlier in this thread:
This should not be related to GRUB at all, the
main problem to have GRUB installed on a XFS formatted partition is
that XFS writes its superblock to sector 0 and the grub installer
overwrites it by default, and this results in not being able to chainload.

And since grub is looking for its initial data in a location somewhere
within /boot on your root filesystem, that is not located at sector 0,
it does not overwrite XFS's superblock at sector 0, nor does XFS clobber
grub's data.

Remembering also, as Carlos E.R. noted:

The current suse-fied solution is just to have a small boot partition,
separate from root, formatted as ext2 - grub goes there, root remains
being xfs, everything works. :-)
No reason why this wouldn't be equally true with /boot inside of the
root filesystem, at other than sector 0, as it is with a /boot on a
separate partition.

Does that make sense? Because it seems to me that that is what is occurring.

-Dan