Re: [opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:16:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Thursday, 2009-06-11 at 23:38 -0700, Linda Walsh wrote:

Re: "Grub supposedly unable to start if /boot is on xfs partition,
So, because grub is broken, XFS is no longer supported as a boot
partition by Novell/SuSE. (!)...

This is old and well known stuff. You new here? >:-P

The issue was Grub not being able to write to the root directory
if it is formatted as an XFS partition.

No, that's not the issue. The issue is that both xfs and grub write to the same place breaking one another. They are (were?) currently incompatible.

And it was documented by the XFS people, the idea of this problem came from them, not from suse people. Please read the original thread when this problem was first reported (factory).

But I would really suggest that OpenSuse follow Ubuntu's example -- just use a bootloader that works.

I agree that Novell should not have dropped lilo from the bootloader configuration. But not sufficient people complained when they decided that, to save costs :-(

The current suse-fied solution is just to have a small boot partition, separate from root, formatted as ext2 - grub goes there, root remains being xfs, everything works. :-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.