[opensuse] Setting Dell Asset Tag via IPMI?
  • From: Pete Eby <peby@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:58:11 -0400
Hi everyone,

While not directly a Suse question, or an issue with OpenIPMI itself, I
thought I might ask if anyone here may know a solution to this as I am
exhausting other avenues.

I would really like to be able to set the Asset tag on our Dells servers
using impiutil or ipmitool. Unfortunately, I can't quite seem to get it.
ipmiutil fru displays various board info, but not the asset tag. Same
with ipmitool fru. Seems Dell wants to make this tricky - why, I don't
know.

I know there is a DOS utility to set the asset tag, and you an do in
OpenManger - but I really just want to do this with impi as part of
our server install process so that it shows up in our inventory
monitoring system, etc. It would be so easy to integrate this with our
kickstart install procedure via IPMI.

Cheers,
Pete