Re: [opensuse] Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:36:18 +0200
Linda Walsh wrote:
Grub has a few problems...
my 'boot' partition was too small, so I repurposed an unused partition
(named 'Boot', and renamed the old partition to 'OBoot').

I had been in the middle of a Xen kernel install when it complained about
the space, so it set up the boot to boot from the xen kernel instead of the
regular.

Bug1:
Well after rebooting, it still comes up and says "Xen.gz" not found on
hd(0,1). I'm not sure -- but I don't think hd(0,1) = 'Boot'.

Hi, I think it is related to bug2, which use old menu.lst

Bug2 (maybe bug 1a?)
It returns me to a menu where I can boot from the regular kernel.
Unfortunately, it's the wrong menu. After I renamed and remounted my
/boot partition, I edited the menu.lst file and added some new entries.

Unfortunately, when my system boots, it is still displaying the old
menu from the "OBoot" partition -- now its clear, at run time, the
partition 'Boot' (the new larger partition) is mounted at /boot. And the
menu file there doesn't represent what I see at boot time.

It is because you still have old location where point grub stage1.5.
This stage contain partition number where it can find menu.lst which is
loaded during stage2 and it points to your old OBoot.

Bug3)
I go into the yast2 boot loader options to see if it tells me anything
-- and IT shows me my NEW longer menu -- so YAST2 isn't showing
what I actually get during boot -- it should display the same menu I see
at boot time.

Yast2-bootloader show you your menu.lst in /boot it doesn't try to
analyze where mbr points ( e.g. some users want that y2bootloader can
edit windows bootloader :)...so no it is only for edit your current
bootloader and if you want to see this menu during boot you must ensure
that correct code is writed to MBR (it is little difficult, but I
simplify it).

Bug4) I see an option for a 'Graphical Menu File' on (hd0,1).
That isn't one of the labels I assigned to my disks.
It appears to be using 'physical partition numbering -- something that
looks like "sda2"

It is valid configuration, grub can load gfxmenu from another partition.
If you want use your current /boot sector then just use /boot/gfxmenu
and it is internally translated to grub device path. So we write what we
read (and is valid) and we try to allow easy change.

But I was told to forget about "sdUp" (and hdUp) nomenclature (U=unit,
p=partition) and only use labels. Despite my reservations,
I complied with the directive and purged my knowledge of those ancient
labels...but this leaves me with 'hd(0,1)' I see referenced during
the boot phase and in the message file, which looks much like the
forbidden, ancient knowledge.

So how do I tell the boot load to boot from the partition mounted on
/boot with label 'Boot', and how do I purge these evil references, I was
told were no longer useful and not to be used?

Is there someone who is living in a fantasy land where where we can only
use
labels? Because it appears that my system (running 11.1) isn't quite there
yet...

Am I going to have to restore that "forbidden, ancient, outdated" knowledge
from my mental archive backups because someone is living in a fantasy world
where only LABELs are necessary for Booting? Cuz, my system, as configured
by the installer, didn't use LABELS for booting, but appears to have used
the same old banned nomenclature of
"sda2", just in a grubby dialect.

Hmm...

So how many bugs do I actually have? Just the configurator that wrote the
boot info and 'yast-bootdloader' that doesn't read the real boot-info, or
do none of the boot-programs actually allow labels? I guess that' be a
3rd bug?
The fact that 'boot-loader' yast2, allows such invalid nomenclature might
arguably be a 4th one...

How do I tell the boot loader to boot from my new 'Boot' (whereever it
is)...

OK, problem is that grub work on low level then partition labels, so it
use BIOS ids and parition number. Yast must respect user selection.
For this purpose I recommend you use yast2 bootloader ability for
repropose working configuration (it is under Other button). And be sure
that write to MBR is checked (for simplify, second option is write
generic boot code and mark current boot partition as active).

Boot code for x86 architecture is really non-trivial and some artifacts
on this architecture doesn't allow easy boot managing, so we try do the
best. Of course we can use "We rule pc" windows strategy and always
rewrite bootloader for working configuration, but I think that not much
users want this.

We welcome any improve suggestion, but some improvements is really hard
to implement (especially if bootloader must support many kinds of
different hardware configuration and technologies).
Josef