Re: [opensuse] Grub bugs ... should I file separate bugs for each one?
  • From: Pit Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:12:12 +0100
Linda Walsh wrote:
Grub has a few problems...
my 'boot' partition was too small, so I repurposed an unused partition
(named 'Boot', and renamed the old partition to 'OBoot').

So did you re-install grub after that? Else the MBR loader still points to
the old partition and loads what is there. That's not a bug, I'd say...

Bug3)
I go into the yast2 boot loader options to see if it tells me anything --
and IT shows me my NEW longer menu -- so YAST2 isn't showing
what I actually get during boot -- it should display the same menu I see
at boot time.

Hmm, good point. For this YaST would have to analyse the MBR, I guess right
now it is only looking at /boot

No idea about the graphical menu.

So how do I tell the boot load to boot from the partition mounted on
/boot with label 'Boot', and how do I purge these evil references, I was
told were no longer useful and not to be used?

Typically by starting grub, setting root to the proper partition with the new
boot contents and then calling setup for the disk to install the chain
loaders. So if your new partition boot is sda3 it would be
root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0)
which should install grub in the MBR and call the stage loaders in your new
partition

hth,

Pit

--