Re: [opensuse] Problem with sound on OpenSuse 11.1
  • From: "Jean-Claude Lorin" <jlorin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 09:58:28 -0400
Le Wednesday 10 June 2009 06:24:52 Joris, vous avez écrit :
On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 01:42, Jean-Claude Lorin<jlorin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
After updating the kernel to 2.6.27.23-0.1-pae #1 yesterday I have
suddenly no sound on Firefox, Banshee and Amarok. Sound is OK on Mplayer
and Skype. I tried updating Alsa but to no avail. I also did zypper up -t
package with no particular result.

What should I do?

I have experienced the same thing on several occasions but never quite
got my head around the cause of it. Things I have done to resolve it
are:
- restarts alsa
- force a reinstall everything possibly related to alsa
A friend of mine had the problem of having no sound whatsoever and it
turned out that because of conflicting dependencies (the problem with
running a factory respository) parts of alsa had been uninstalled, and
he needed to reinstall them.

Thaks a lot. I googled to find out how to restart Alsa then did rcalsasound
restart in a terminal window and everything works!! :-)