Re: [opensuse] installing on an aspire one
  • From: Bogdan Cristea <cristeab@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 00:20:55 +0300
On Tuesday 09 June 2009 21:44:24 you wrote:
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Bogdan Cristea<cristeab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 09 June 2009 20:46:20 you wrote:
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Bogdan Cristea<cristeab@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 09 June 2009 17:56:02 Haneef Bashir wrote:
i need some help installing opensuse on to my aspire one. i made the
 bootable usb with openSUSE-11.1-NET-i586.iso but i dont know how to

The version of openSuSE you have used is made for network install. If
you have already an ISO image of the entire DVD, you could choose to
install from your hard disk (not very sure of this option).

I have a similar model and I have used the network install

could you tell me what options to choose? when i  select the option
for network as the source medium, im given a choice of choosing
between ftp, http, nfs, smb/cifs, and tftp. which one do i choose? and
what info do i need to know after that? thanks

As far as I remember I have chosen http protocol and after that I have
used the default values. Have a look at this page too
http://en.opensuse.org/Network_Install

i looked at that link before and i didnt find anything of relevance
(maybe im missing something). during the installation setup after
choosing http as the source medium and i choose the network protocol,
it asks me to enter the ip address of the http server, this is where
im lost, i dont have a clue what to put in that field.

You should use the official repositories as provided by openSuSE:
http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories#Official_Repositories

For openSuSE 11.1 use
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/

with ping download.opensuse.org you'll get the IP address of the server:
195.135.221.130