[opensuse] Printermanagement from within YaST....
  • From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 20:50:23 +0200
Hi list,

- I'm on openSuSE11.1 and am slightly frustrated with the behaviour of
YaST when (trying) to install a simple USB Brother HL-2040 b/w laserprinter.

The YaST interface reg. printers is in my opinion not intuitive and not
helpfull at all.

I download (from openprinting.org) a fine PPD file to use. I point to it
in YaST which finds it (lets me select it), but hence stubbornly says
"No appropriate driver found" (or so, xlated from Danish).

I try a thousand things in said YaST. Nothing works. This printer cannot
be installed.

So swearingly I give up, I fire up Firefox and goes http://localhost:631
and installs the printer (using the downloaded PPD file). Tests it and
all is rather well.

Back to YaST. It's there, I may now (again, not very intuitive) edit its
settings. It works just fine. Ahem...

One thing more, after printing out a test page, YaST says something
like: "There are used printerfiles that may now be deleted. Should it be
deleted or kept?"

I mean why this question? Why not just delete the thing after printing?
Beats me...

I take it, that there are some fine explanations as to why on earth the
YaST interface was changed to dramatically?

Anyhow, thanks for all answers :-)

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

Novell Certified Linux