Re: [opensuse] hOW TO REMOVE A FILE THAT IS CONSIDERED "READ ONLY FILE SYSTEM"
  • From: Dan Goodman <Dan.Goodman@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 10:22:19 -0400
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Tuesday, 2009-06-09 at 12:34 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Maura Monville wrote:

Subject: Re: [opensuse] hOW TO REMOVE A FILE THAT IS CONSIDERED
"READ ONLY FILE SYSTEM"

Please, don't SHOUT.

I have dumped huge directories (uncompressed) from SuSE 10.3 onto my
external hard drive (SEAGATE which is only 25% full after such
operation). I have tar-red the huge files. But when I try to gzip the
tar-archive the system refuses to do so because such an archive is
considered a "read-only file system".
Uh, a _file_ can be read-only, but it would take a few more steps to
make it a read-only _file-system_. It sounds like your external drive
has somehow become read-only. I can't think of how - you did manage to
write the tar-file to it.

It happens when the kernel discovers a corruption or has an Oops or
similar. The kernel switches the affected filesystem to read only to
impede further damage.

It happened to me the other day.

Proof of this could be found in the kernel log.

The proper procedure is umounting, running an fsck on that filesystem,
then mounting again.

And then, I would copy the file it was writing to at the moment of
failure. Ie, I would rerun the backup, or at least, fully check it.

You could try remounting your external drive as rw -

mount -o rw,remount <yourdrive> <yourmountpoint>

That should fail, too. Hopefully ;-)

Good to know that "gory little detail". Thanks for the concise what- and
how- summary, Carlos.

One other possibility to consider, if even this procedure doesn't bring
satisfaction, is that perhaps, if the drive has been handled, that some
sort of hardware read-only switch or jumper has been altered.

But Carlos' interpretation seems quite probable, as well. Could be
either. I'd check/do both.

Short of reading the kernel source tree, is there someplace where one
can find more details of kernel behavior under duress, such as what
Carlos has described? I'm thinking something a bit more comprehensive
than release notes, but not as dry as a complete bugzilla list.

--Dan G.