Re: [opensuse] hOW TO REMOVE A FILE THAT IS CONSIDERED "READ ONLY FILE SYSTEM"
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 13:54:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Tuesday, 2009-06-09 at 12:34 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Maura Monville wrote:

Subject: Re: [opensuse] hOW TO REMOVE A FILE THAT IS CONSIDERED
"READ ONLY FILE SYSTEM"

Please, don't SHOUT.

I have dumped huge directories (uncompressed) from SuSE 10.3 onto my
external hard drive (SEAGATE which is only 25% full after such
operation). I have tar-red the huge files. But when I try to gzip the
tar-archive the system refuses to do so because such an archive is
considered a "read-only file system".

Uh, a _file_ can be read-only, but it would take a few more steps to
make it a read-only _file-system_. It sounds like your external drive
has somehow become read-only. I can't think of how - you did manage to
write the tar-file to it.

It happens when the kernel discovers a corruption or has an Oops or similar. The kernel switches the affected filesystem to read only to impede further damage.

It happened to me the other day.

Proof of this could be found in the kernel log.

The proper procedure is umounting, running an fsck on that filesystem, then mounting again.

And then, I would copy the file it was writing to at the moment of
failure. Ie, I would rerun the backup, or at least, fully check it.

You could try remounting your external drive as rw -

mount -o rw,remount <yourdrive> <yourmountpoint>

That should fail, too. Hopefully ;-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.