Re: [opensuse] hOW TO REMOVE A FILE THAT IS CONSIDERED "READ ONLY FILE SYSTEM"
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 12:34:23 +0200
Maura Monville wrote:

I have dumped huge directories (uncompressed) from SuSE 10.3 onto my
external hard drive (SEAGATE which is only 25% full after such
operation). I have tar-red the huge files. But when I try to gzip the
tar-archive the system refuses to do so because such an archive is
considered a "read-only file system".

Uh, a _file_ can be read-only, but it would take a few more steps to
make it a read-only _file-system_. It sounds like your external drive
has somehow become read-only. I can't think of how - you did manage to
write the tar-file to it.

Even as root (#su -) I cannot remove the archive.

You could try remounting your external drive as rw -

mount -o rw,remount <yourdrive> <yourmountpoint>

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.4°C)