Re: [opensuse] Stupid Google Redirect URL Utility
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 11:01:52 +0100
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Monday June 8 2009, Peter Van Lone wrote:
On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Dan Goodman<Dan.Goodman@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
Hi,

I am most peeved by Google's recent change that make it impossible
to copy URLs or Save Link As... from the search results pages.
I am not sure what you are talking about. Using both FF and Chrome on
the windows box I sit in front of at the moment, I can copy the
target url of a found google search item. If I try to copy the
topmost link itself, I see what you mean: it copies essentially the
google find.

That's what I'm talking about.

If I do a search and then put the mouse above the blue hyperlink for one
of the results, Firefox shows the target in the status line. And if I
right click and Copy Link Location it saves that target address. That's
how I've always done it and it hasn't changed.

If I highlight the blue text and right click and Copy, it saves the text
that I've highlighted. Which is what I'd expect.

If I look at the HTML source of the page that google returned I see an
normal <a> element, consistent with what I describe above, no redirection.

So I was still confused what you're discussing...

Then I tried an experiment. I enabled Javascript for google and
discovered all the nasties you're talking about.

So I don't think I'll need *more* scripts. I think I'll just go back to
having *noscript* :)

Cheers, Dave

PS What google have done is evil, no question.