[opensuse] hOW TO REMOVE A FILE THAT IS CONSIDERED "READ ONLY FILE SYSTEM"
  • From: Maura Monville <mauede@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 09:59:12 +0000 (GMT)

I have dumped huge directories (uncompressed) from SuSE 10.3 onto my external
hard drive (SEAGATE which is only 25% full after such operation).
I have tar-red the huge files. But when I try to gzip the tar-archive the
system refuses to do so because such an archive is considered a "read-only file
system". Even as root (#su -) I cannot remove the archive. If I try to move it
to my computer hard drive then a copy is made but it does not get removed from
the SEAGATE external drive because of the same reason.

Even as root I am not allowed to change the access rights (#chmod a=+wr
<archive-name>) nor I am allowed to change the file owner (#chown) even if it
belongs to me as a user ...

I am out of ideas about how to remove/delete such a file ... it is a nightmare !

Thanks to everybody who can help me out of my misery.

Maura