Re: [opensuse] how to set up a fylafax 'client'
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 01:54:21 -0400
On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 09:03 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
Per Jessen said the following on 06/08/2009 08:16 AM:

I only send faxes from openoffice, and I've got a special fax printer
set up for that. To have a fax printer available everywhere, I think
you need to set it up in cups, and I'm pretty certain I have come
across a hylafax "backend" for cups or some such.

That sounds interesting. The 'everywhere' hylafax integrate with CUPS
seems great for the bricks-an-mortar office; another box (or virtual) an
another phone line along with many other phone lines.

But for those of us who live an work 'out of the office' an use a
laptop, something else is needed.

When I google for 'openoffice+fax' I get a lot of references to How-Tos
that specify:

To send a fax directly from OpenOffice.org, you need a fax modem
and a fax driver that allows applications to communicate with
the fax modem.

Well that's a big MAYBE.
Maybe the modem in my laptop can fax, but is it a real modem?
Maybe I'd be better off using a network service like eFax if I deal with
a lot of faxes, both outgoing an incoming.

It's been quite a while but Carl Spencer III had this info back some
years ago, there is a simple way of adding a fax modem as a printer, but
I do not offhand recall it.

{snip}