Re: [opensuse] tuning tweak from factory
  • From: Michael Roberts <mijtro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 20:18:56 +0200
2009/6/8 Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>:
All,

There is a discussion on factory currently that the mount option
"relatime" can be used to accelerate application launch, etc.  (note
that relatime is NOT a typo, just a fairly new mount option.)

And that the 2.6.30 kernel now uses it by default, so it should be pretty
safe.

I don't know if it is available in the standard 11.1 kernel, but looks
like it is worth investigating.

Someone feel like doing some tests?

relatime is also in the man page for mount on 11.0. I have just made
this change and rebooted, and my first impression is good. Firefox was
taking forever to start up with lots of disk thrashing and now it
starts up quietly in one or two seconds. I will leave it like this and
post again if I notice any problems.