Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 08:39:12 +0200
On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 13:24 -0400, Adam Tauno WIlliams wrote:
On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 08:16 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 17:45 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
Which brings us full circle to the point that started this thread:
Partly by not really and fully following standards when they do not have
to, in the hope of locking customers into their goods. This disregard
for standards (on the PC side) makes open source development for their
products a more difficult task than it need to be.

It just is not that simple. I work every day on solutions involving
sync, iCalendar, CalDAV, etc... following the letter of the standard
may be ideal but it will *not* result in interoperability. There are
gaps in the standards and vagueness that results in entirely legitimate
differences in implementation. There are also very real differences in
the capacities (and internal data models) between various applications
and [especially] devices that the implementation has to compensate for
in order to produce what to the end user seems the obvious behavior.

So what you really mean to say is that the PC part of the phone is made
up of incomplete inadequate standards. That in fact backs up my argument
that many phone suppliers (or at least Nokia, Sony/Ericsson - which is a
big percentage in terms of sales) are doing crap work on the PC side.
Are they not in a position to make standards happen? They did so on the
telecom side. It can be done if one chooses to do so.

Still, this is not the core of my complaint. I am simply saying that the
software supplied by Nokia themselves that is expected to work with
their own phones is (1) crap on windows and (2) not available on any
other platform. Standards are surely not an issue when Nokia themselves
can make both sides of the conversation.

Well, I for one an finished with this thread. Time to get back to work.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB