Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: Adam Tauno WIlliams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:24:38 -0400
On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 08:16 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 17:45 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:
Which brings us full circle to the point that started this thread:
Partly by not really and fully following standards when they do not have
to, in the hope of locking customers into their goods. This disregard
for standards (on the PC side) makes open source development for their
products a more difficult task than it need to be.

It just is not that simple. I work every day on solutions involving
sync, iCalendar, CalDAV, etc... following the letter of the standard
may be ideal but it will *not* result in interoperability. There are
gaps in the standards and vagueness that results in entirely legitimate
differences in implementation. There are also very real differences in
the capacities (and internal data models) between various applications
and [especially] devices that the implementation has to compensate for
in order to produce what to the end user seems the obvious behavior.

Well, I for one an finished with this thread. Time to get back to work.