Re: [opensuse] Why is Michal Hrus(ecký Article on openSuSE Announce - Admitting MySQL Upgrade will Break Config?
On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 10:43 +0100, G T Smith wrote:
I personally usually only apply upgrade updates to things like databases
if and only if it solves a current issue with the version being run that
is actually causing a problem. I would usually wait until the next major
OS release unless I wanted or needed some functionality supplied by a
newer version. In my experience applying upgrades to stable and
functioning services frequently generates more problems than it actually
solves.

And of course you always test updates before applying them to production
systems; therefore you never get caught by such things. Because that
is that is sound administrative practices, applying updates directly to
production systems is *not* (unfortunately apt/yum/zypper have poisoned
allot of people's practices).