Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:04:05 +0100

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 13:03 -0500, Andrew Gould wrote:
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

Not true. Both Sony/Ericsson (how many record companies does Sony own?)
and Nokia have large music download sites. They have been trying to
position themselves so that they do have after sale content.
Sony/Ericsson are always advertising that they have some song by some
artist before anyone else. Or that this month all downloads are free.
Nokia the same. This has not gone as great as they would have hoped. I
put it down partly to the crappy PC interface support.

Nokia did try to set their own content service as you note at the
release of one of their N series phones... Most of the major networks in
the UK did not push or supply that particular phone under contract...
(The phone effectively became only available SIM free with no contract
subsidy... i.e. pricey, serviceless and unsupported ).

The UK market model is phone makers are expected to just make phones,
and the networks supply subsidised phones, the content on those phones
and set charges as appropriate. While the iPhone is tied to just one
network, Apple content is not a major problem for the other networks,
what may get interesting is what happens if the strong network tie
disappears.

The networks really do not want the phone manufacturers on their turf,
and are perfectly prepared to use their control of the supply chain to
enforce this. It is also a factor in why M$ have struggled a bit to make
a significant impact on the mobile phone market outside the US. (In the
world of villains the phone networks could give M$ a few lessons in
dirty tricks).

This gives in effect a fairly significant disincentive to fix the
problems with PC synchronisation with phones for most phone
manufacturers. (It is not worth it if the model effectively becomes
blacklisted as a result). This is one the potential gotchas for open
source based phones and solutions.

BTW: Funnily enough, one the complaints that many people still make is
that they do *not* want to use PC to backup phone data (quite a few
prefer backup to memory card options)....

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup