Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 11:00:06 +0100

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

<snip>

This is less and less true; more and more devices "just do IP" which
from an implementation/engineering stand point makes sense. Setting up
an IP connection over blue-tooth may be one easy solution - it works
with Palms and WinCE devices. Then you can sync over IP to a
SyncML/OMA-DS service. Just install Funambol - this is how I test
syncronization, no carrier required [since it is obviously cheaper to
test with de-activated phones].

Funambol is ideal for commercial and home server use and possibly
Blackberry users on desktop, but is a little heavy weight for the home
desktop only (and the demo web client is a bit limited). A good
alternative is egroupware (which has the added advantage of being in the
SuSE repositories, and not requiring the installation and configuration
of Tomcat or JBoss).

If you can get a local IP link between PC and device all things are
possible (puTTY or VNC on a symbian phone is a bit of fun, and there is
a rather handy free phoned based FTP server).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup