Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 08:09:04 +0200
On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 13:03 -0500, Andrew Gould wrote:
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
Explain why I can hook up an iPhone to a Mac or Windows box and get all
the features I think Nokia et. al, should provide? Backups, sync,
updates, app installs and deleting 'just work'. No painful leaping from
program to program. This is of course because Apple are in control of
both parts of the puzzle. What is to stop the other guys from doing the
same. This is one of many reasons iPhone sales are doing quite well.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

The major difference between the business models (Apple vs Nokia, etc)
is that after the phone sale, Apple has many opportunities for
additional/continued revenue streams, whereas the other phone
manufacturers just hope to control costs (support, warranty).

Not true. Both Sony/Ericsson (how many record companies does Sony own?)
and Nokia have large music download sites. They have been trying to
position themselves so that they do have after sale content.
Sony/Ericsson are always advertising that they have some song by some
artist before anyone else. Or that this month all downloads are free.
Nokia the same. This has not gone as great as they would have hoped. I
put it down partly to the crappy PC interface support.

Also, I think it is shortsighted to view decent access to the phone from
the PC to be unrelated to the original choice to buy the phone in the
first place. I, for one, now consider it a requirement. Not an option
that may or may not work, depending on the version-of-the-week of the
software in the phone.

Just my opinion.

--
Roger Oberholtzer