Re: [opensuse] Is the person this bug is assigned to still with Novell/openSuSE
  • From: Adam Tauno WIlliams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:27:04 -0400
On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 16:15 -0400, Larry Stotler wrote:
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Anybody else could fix it as well ;). Anybody else volunteering?
Since I'm not a programmer - No :-)

This is a false distinction - the world is not divided into
"programmers" and "not programmers". There are many ways those not
versed in code can help - in ways that cause bugs to get closed faster,
and then someone comes around to 'your' bug sooner.

It seems that the assignee is too busy with other bugs to look at this,
AFAIK
he has more than 70 bugs. If this is a bug in the package and not something
introduced by us, it might make sense to report it upstream,
Then why not have a mail sent out to other devs so they can be alerted
to the fact that some bugs are being ignored(even if not
purposefully)?

As a bug keeper for an Open Source project I can tell you that they
almost certainly have bugs of their own and are very much aware of the
looming mountain that is Bugzilla. The attitude of
my-bugs-don't-get-fixed-so-I'm-going-home is not helpful, to yourself or
anyone else.

And "more than 70 bugs"??! Hah, I'd love to be him! You'll find the
same, and much worse, in any in-house/proprietary bug tracking system.
Bugs are many, workers are few.

I thought the idea behind bugzilla was to be able to track bugs and
resolutions. If this person has that many assigned bugs, then they
shouldn't all be assigned to that person.

So you'd assign them to who? Remeber that bugs are not exclusively
available to the person to whom they are assigned.

Resources are constrained - that is why there is a thing called an
"economy". :)