Re: [opensuse] how to download Suse
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 01:07:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2009-06-03 at 21:30 -0000, Maura Monville wrote:

I am stuck with SuSE 10.3 .
I happen to have little time next week and would like to update my computer.
I wonder how long it will take to download SuSE laest version using an ADSL
line advertized as 7Mb which
is in reality 1.3 Mb.

Notice that that 7 Mb reads as 7 Mbit, not 7 Mbyte, and it also means, in ISPs parlance, usually maximum speed, not real, sustained speed.

You can calculate the download time easily. It it downloads, say, at 500 Kbyte/s, and the image has, say, 4 GB (not 4 GiB), it would take a minimum of 8000 seconds, ie, 2.22 hours.

Use a metalink client, such as aria2c, to optimize your download speed.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.