Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:26:42 +0200
On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 08:11 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On the PC side, it is not exactly rocket science. As a minimum, phones
have contact lists. Contacts tend to have some basic common features.
Name, address, phone numbers. Yet there are as many ways to get that
information as there are telephone models. Of course, the phones can and
do make differences where logically there need be no differences. I know
this is the same of many technologies. But it does not mean it is still
a good idea for telephones to continue this insanity.
Actually data synchronisation is quite tricky. You really need to take a
look at the SyncML spec to realise some of the issues involved...
It has been made tricky by how it is implemented. Of course,

No, I think your over simplifying. It is really a genuinely hard
problem.

Explain why I can hook up an iPhone to a Mac or Windows box and get all
the features I think Nokia et. al, should provide? Backups, sync,
updates, app installs and deleting 'just work'. No painful leaping from
program to program. This is of course because Apple are in control of
both parts of the puzzle. What is to stop the other guys from doing the
same. This is one of many reasons iPhone sales are doing quite well.

I would be surprised if they could not make software on
the phone that could talk to the software on the PC.

I have no doubt they could; but it is very expensive and there just
isn't any return.

See comment above. As phones are more than phones these days, perhaps
Nokia and the others are missing a market wish that others understand.

As to telephones not being PC, I was not meaning that they were. I just
mean that a telephone has two paths of communication (1) telecom for,
well, phone calls and all that, and (2) PC communications for things
like contacts.

This is less and less true; more and more devices "just do IP" which
from an implementation/engineering stand point makes sense. Setting up
an IP connection over blue-tooth may be one easy solution - it works
with Palms and WinCE devices. Then you can sync over IP to a
SyncML/OMA-DS service. Just install Funambol - this is how I test
syncronization, no carrier required [since it is obviously cheaper to
test with de-activated phones].

Don't you think that Funambol is a bit much for one guy needing to sync
contacts? So slight on Funambol intended.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB