Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
On the PC side, it is not exactly rocket science. As a minimum, phones
have contact lists. Contacts tend to have some basic common features.
Name, address, phone numbers. Yet there are as many ways to get that
information as there are telephone models. Of course, the phones can and
do make differences where logically there need be no differences. I know
this is the same of many technologies. But it does not mean it is still
a good idea for telephones to continue this insanity.
Actually data synchronisation is quite tricky. You really need to take a
look at the SyncML spec to realise some of the issues involved...
It has been made tricky by how it is implemented. Of course,

No, I think your over simplifying. It is really a genuinely hard
problem.

I would be surprised if they could not make software on
the phone that could talk to the software on the PC.

I have no doubt they could; but it is very expensive and there just
isn't any return.

As to telephones not being PC, I was not meaning that they were. I just
mean that a telephone has two paths of communication (1) telecom for,
well, phone calls and all that, and (2) PC communications for things
like contacts.

This is less and less true; more and more devices "just do IP" which
from an implementation/engineering stand point makes sense. Setting up
an IP connection over blue-tooth may be one easy solution - it works
with Palms and WinCE devices. Then you can sync over IP to a
SyncML/OMA-DS service. Just install Funambol - this is how I test
syncronization, no carrier required [since it is obviously cheaper to
test with de-activated phones].