Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 13:32:54 +0200

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 09:35 -0500, Andrew Gould wrote:

<snip>

On the PC side, it is not exactly rocket science. As a minimum, phones
have contact lists. Contacts tend to have some basic common features.
Name, address, phone numbers. Yet there are as many ways to get that
information as there are telephone models. Of course, the phones can and
do make differences where logically there need be no differences. I know
this is the same of many technologies. But it does not mean it is still
a good idea for telephones to continue this insanity.

Actually data synchronisation is quite tricky. You really need to take a
look at the SyncML spec to realise some of the issues involved...

It has been made tricky by how it is implemented. Of course, if you make
both sides of the link, you are in a better position to get it right. I
would like Nokia to pay more attention to the PC (Windows/MAC/Linux)
side of this. I would be surprised if they could not make software on
the phone that could talk to the software on the PC. So, my complaint is
not only the lack of open source software for this, it is the lack of
vendor software. I could even live with a closed transport if the
software involved is ok.

I would not have a big issue with this if the companies (1) supported
more than Windows - and even that support is often crappy, and (2) made
quality software, instead of what looks to be a second tier component
made with a low budget and little or no usability testing. Ever have to
update the software on a Nokia phone? It runs a number of apps
sequentially that are each laid out different, so it is unclear that it
is all part of the same process, and that have odd redundancies that
make you think it has possibly failed the first time and is trying again
with a different method. This is a Nokia eXpressMusic accessed on
Windows.

Phones are *not* PCs, they have to comply to national and network
requirements (which do vary somewhat). When you take into account
locking of a phone to a particular network often the network defines
what applications (and services) the phone can provide and how they are
provided.

Exactly my point: for the telecom part they had no choice for the
reasons you cited. But if they had a choice, it would have been as
vendor-specific as the PC side of the telephone communications, where
they do have the choice.

As to telephones not being PC, I was not meaning that they were. I just
mean that a telephone has two paths of communication (1) telecom for,
well, phone calls and all that, and (2) PC communications for things
like contacts.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST