Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:12:25 +0100

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 09:35 -0500, Andrew Gould wrote:

<snip>

On the PC side, it is not exactly rocket science. As a minimum, phones
have contact lists. Contacts tend to have some basic common features.
Name, address, phone numbers. Yet there are as many ways to get that
information as there are telephone models. Of course, the phones can and
do make differences where logically there need be no differences. I know
this is the same of many technologies. But it does not mean it is still
a good idea for telephones to continue this insanity.

Actually data synchronisation is quite tricky. You really need to take a
look at the SyncML spec to realise some of the issues involved...

I would not have a big issue with this if the companies (1) supported
more than Windows - and even that support is often crappy, and (2) made
quality software, instead of what looks to be a second tier component
made with a low budget and little or no usability testing. Ever have to
update the software on a Nokia phone? It runs a number of apps
sequentially that are each laid out different, so it is unclear that it
is all part of the same process, and that have odd redundancies that
make you think it has possibly failed the first time and is trying again
with a different method. This is a Nokia eXpressMusic accessed on
Windows.

Phones are *not* PCs, they have to comply to national and network
requirements (which do vary somewhat). When you take into account
locking of a phone to a particular network often the network defines
what applications (and services) the phone can provide and how they are
provided.

On the MAC or Linux there is no access possible. Hard to make more than
a broad complaint about that platform.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup