Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:12:09 +0100

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 16:43 +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
Andrew Gould wrote:
How would you all view it if a phone company stopped worrying about
operating systems and synced to google accounts?
Why should I have to (a) register with google and (b) have internet
access in order to interface to my phone? Better if they simply
concentrated on implementing protocols consistently. The USB mass
storage interface works fairly well for most data stored on my phone.

Because the telephone manufacturers did not make the protocol. If they
had, each would be different. So this means that one can copy photos and
music to the devices. Which is at least something. But I also want the
contacts to be managed from my PC. That is where things go south.

What is forgotten here is the other player... the phone networks. There
is an ongoing tussle between networks and the phone manufacturers about
the control of what and who supplies services and facilities (and
realises the associated revenue streams).... the google idea is just
plain silly...the networks usually supply their own internet related
services to certain classes of user (at least in the UK)...

A secondary issue is that the networks would prefer the customer paid
them to look after the customers personal data, rather than store stuff
on their own PC. (Also for many business users centralised data
repositories make sense).
- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup