Re: [opensuse] Intel 945 Chipset, powered by NVIDIA: Should I install NVIDIA driver?
  • From: "David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E." <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 23:39:09 -0500
On or about Tuesday 02 June 2009 at approximately 22:52:32 Hawit composed:
I have Sony Vaio VGN-SZ38 GP and on Windows platform, I can check that my
chipset is Intel 945, and powered by NVIDIA. So is that mean I should
install NVIDIA driver to get best performance for my GUI?

I tried to install NVIDIA via one click install, but didnt work, the
screen went blank.

Open a terminal (xterm or konsole) and post the output of:

lspci -v

and as root, also post:

hwinfo --gfxcard

If it is an Intel Card, you are not going to get the NVidia driver to
drive
the display. Who know, your motherboard may have an NVidia
chipset/controller, but your graphics card is the Intel 945.

(Bailing wire and duct-tape -- any combination of chips will do these days ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC