[opensuse] gdb/corefile question
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 20:45:40 +0000 (UTC)
Wondering if someone here might be able to help me out with a weird (at
least to me) gdb issue...

openSUSE 11.0, trying to obtain a core file (via gdb or whatever means)
for a program that's segfaulting so the developer can diagnose the
problem further.

I've set the core limit to unlimited (both in limits.conf and using
ulimit -c) but I don't get a core. I don't see any condition that would
prevent a core file from being written (cwd is writable, binary is
readable, no suid stuff in use at all with it, /proc/kernel settings are
for a corefile called "core" with no PID in the cwd)

I thought that I might get around this by running the program under gdb.
But when the program segfaults, gdb immediately tells me that the program
no longer exists and won't give me a backtrace or any useful debugging
information. In fact, it doesn't even give me any useless debugging
information.

I had done a little reading and found the "catch signal" command, but it
seems that gdb 6.8 (on 11.0) doesn't have this feature implemented.

What other options do I have to get a core from this program?

Thanks,

Jim

--
Jim Henderson