Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:05:04 +0200
On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 09:35 -0500, Andrew Gould wrote:

Oops, I meant to send this to the list:

Rather than give Nokia broad complaints about os support, is there
specific verbage that would provide standards-based guidance for
better os support?

Telephone developers != standards on the PC interface side. I do not
think it is something they seem to consider important. All standards
activity is on the telecommunications side, where they really have no
choice.

On the PC side, it is not exactly rocket science. As a minimum, phones
have contact lists. Contacts tend to have some basic common features.
Name, address, phone numbers. Yet there are as many ways to get that
information as there are telephone models. Of course, the phones can and
do make differences where logically there need be no differences. I know
this is the same of many technologies. But it does not mean it is still
a good idea for telephones to continue this insanity.

I think the idea is to sort of lock users into a product. If you have
all your info in the Nokia or Sony PC software, it is a big deciding
factor when looking for a new phone. Is it worth loosing all the
contacts with a new company's product?

I would not have a big issue with this if the companies (1) supported
more than Windows - and even that support is often crappy, and (2) made
quality software, instead of what looks to be a second tier component
made with a low budget and little or no usability testing. Ever have to
update the software on a Nokia phone? It runs a number of apps
sequentially that are each laid out different, so it is unclear that it
is all part of the same process, and that have odd redundancies that
make you think it has possibly failed the first time and is trying again
with a different method. This is a Nokia eXpressMusic accessed on
Windows.

On the MAC or Linux there is no access possible. Hard to make more than
a broad complaint about that platform.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST