Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:30:21 +0100

Andrew Gould wrote:
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On May 31, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Malte Gell wrote:

Hi there,

I have a Nokia N82 and can't get it running with gnokii 0.6.26 on openSUSE
11.1

Below you can see my gnokii.rc

When I try e.g. "gnokii --getphonebook ME 1 end"

I only get "Error reading from the location 1 in memory ME
Error: Unknown error - well better than nothing!!"

gnokii --identify actually does work. The phone is connected via USB and of
course I chose "PC Suite" as connection method.

I already reported to the gnokii mailing list, but without any response yet.
So I wonder, has anyone of you a running gnokii with a Nseries devide like
N82, N95 or similar?
Nokia support on other than Windows is really crap. I have a Nokia
eXpressMusic and it is not even supported on my Mac. Don't even mention
Linux support.

One could only hope that one thing Nokia do with Qt is make a decent
cross-platform interface to their products. Current support is really crap.

--

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Are all cell phones with SyncML compatible with Linux? I've been
browsing phones for this feature over at phone scoop:
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php

If you click on "Show all options", SyncML will appear in the
Productivity category.

(If you receive multiple copies of this message, I aplogize. I got a
message that the first attempt was denied, so I'm resending.

Andrew

SyncML is a client server protocol, and unfortunately phone to computer
really needs client client support which is not part of the SyncML
standard as published by OMA (Open Mobile Alliance). Neither doze or
Linux clients really do this well, and the Doze client is not to be
trusted. (This problem goes back to the PSION days). The old style nokia
material (e.g gnokii) I would not expect to work with later symbian
based phones.

The server options available are egroupware (which sets up a functional
web based groupware application which has basic support for SyncML), and
Funambol which is a bit more heavy duty and not part of the openSuSE
distribution. Funambol does have a variety of clients (one of which does
work quite well with Evolution but as of yet does not have a GUI
interface), there are two Thunderbird clients one of which used to work
on openSuSE (there seems to be an issue with the openSuSE version of
Thunderbird, funambol client API and SyncML, the status of which I have
not looked into for quite a while).

I believe Zimbra has SyncML support (but I have never looked at this).

There are 3rd party sites which supply SyncML services as well.

An alternative is the free FTP server for the phone, which is only safe
to use on a USB or personal wireless connections, or the not free Mocha
internet support applications.

I get the impression that opensync have lost the plot somewhere, but
there is a fairly well described Java and C++ api for Funambol for both
client and server side functionality. (This API can function for
non-Funambol SyncML stuff so if the opensync stuff is not available
there are alternatives available to those who are keen to get this
sorted out).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup