Re: [opensuse] Have ancient portable scanner (Visioneer Paperport) -- seeking driver(s)
  • From: Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 14:12:34 -0500
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Dan Goodman <Dan.Goodman@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Always wanted to have one of those portable scanners for my road-warrior
kit, but never got high enough on my needs list to fork out a couple of
hundred dollars.

Then, as fate would have it, I found on at a yard sale, an ancient but
working Visioneer Paperport MX/VX model (says one on front, another on
label on bottom).

Checked a bunch of semi-obvious sites for driver and/or HW
compatibility. Seems the last known driver for this was made for Win98,
and never one for Linux.

But I'd like to try fooling around with Wine and a driver to see if I
could get this working.

Problem is, I have no idea where to find one of the ancient Windoze drivers.

Does anyone happen to have one laying around somewhere in an archive, or
whatever?

And does anyone have any good links to setting up various HW on Linux
which might have only a Windows driver published?

TIA.

Dan Goodman
Systems Engineer

PS Yes I know I could easily spend more time than what it would cost to
buy a new one, but (a) I like the lightweight form factor of this unit;
and (b) I would like to get some experience trying to solve the problem
of running a device under Linux using a Windows driver, if that is
possible. Now, if you want to DONATE a more modern portable scanner,
that's a different story...

Here are some links to help with the development of backend drivers for sane:

http://www.sane-project.org/contrib.html
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/develop.html

Also, there are a few Visioneer Paperport MX's on sale at eBay. If
you email a seller, maybe one will send you the driver.

Good luck,

Andrew