Re: [opensuse] Nokia Nseries and gnokii
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:06:50 +0200

On Jun 1, 2009, at 7:58 PM, Andrew Gould wrote:

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

On May 31, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Malte Gell wrote:

Hi there,

I have a Nokia N82 and can't get it running with gnokii 0.6.26 on openSUSE
11.1

Below you can see my gnokii.rc

When I try e.g. "gnokii --getphonebook ME 1 end"

I only get "Error reading from the location 1 in memory ME
Error: Unknown error - well better than nothing!!"

gnokii --identify actually does work. The phone is connected via USB and of
course I chose "PC Suite" as connection method.

I already reported to the gnokii mailing list, but without any response yet.
So I wonder, has anyone of you a running gnokii with a Nseries devide like
N82, N95 or similar?

Nokia support on other than Windows is really crap. I have a Nokia eXpressMusic and it is not even supported on my Mac. Don't even mention Linux support.

One could only hope that one thing Nokia do with Qt is make a decent cross-platform interface to their products. Current support is really crap.

--

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

Are all cell phones with SyncML compatible with Linux? I've been
browsing phones for this feature over at phone scoop:
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php

If you click on "Show all options", SyncML will appear in the
Productivity category.

Seem there are various versions of SyncML. And they seem not all to work the same. So, even though my Nokia supports SyncML, even the most basic probe commands fail. I can see that the Nokia returns some text for the requests, but it is not accepted. You get a feeling for the hopelessness of it when you read the list of supported telephones. It almost gets to stating the day of week of manufacture. OK. I exaggerate. But not by much.

The telephone guys have made a real mess. Even different phones in the same line from the same manufacturer may or may not work the same. It is like if a modem had its own version of each standard command. Or if each hard disk manufacturer made it's own interface.

With one Nokia phone, they were so damned lazy that the sync software just made a connection to Outlook. Period. If you did not use/want Outlook to manage your address book, tough.

Nokia (I have similar experience with Ericsson and Sony/Ericsson) are not in the position they are in today because of computer integration with their phones. Apple ARE in the position they are today partly because of the very very well done computer integration. Especially when compared to the other vendors. Of course, Apple is no more open than the other folk. But al least their software is of some level of quality. With Nokia I always get the feeling it is added as an insignificant afterthought.

Someone pressed a button here...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Office: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Mobile: Int +46 70-815 1696

And remember:

It is like talking about large city with all constructions finished.
Not impossible, but very unlikely.