Re: [opensuse] [OT] is there a virtual machine that uses harddisk as harddisk image
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:08:38 -0500
In <200906010717.06296.rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On 2009-05-31 10:56:42 +0800 Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
On Saturday May 30 2009, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
could virtual machine software make use of a separate harddisk?
VMware supports it.

QEmu/KVM does too. I'm pretty sure you can convince Xen to use a file or
any block device as well.

However, this may or may not actually increase your performance, depending
on the virtualization software. If they use the same techniques as the
kernel uses for swap files, the performance increase is tremendously
minimal.

What is the name / terminology used for this? If you give me the
right keyword I should be able to google out everything.

As far as I know, there's not special name for it, nor is there anything
you're likely to find on Web. When you define a virtual machine you
have the option of having the virtualized disks be backed by files
(considered the default) or by actual disks or disk partitions.

any "block device" -- these are devices that support read, write, and seek
operations like "normal" files.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))