Re: [opensuse] We Lost One! :(
  • From: "Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:03:27 +0300
2008/9/24 Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>:
Are you arguing that Linux is _perfect_ for desktop use? I need to run
Solidworks on my desktop, to be interoperable with people who care
more about functional software than about any dream of open code. Any
system that cannot run Solidworks is not perfect for me or any other
engineer in my position.

So your question is: Is Linux perfect at running applications that were
not written for it.

I will remind you that Linux is an operating system (or more
pedantically, a kernel from which an OS can be built upon): without
software it does nothing. An OS without applications is useless to me.
So until there are engineering applications for Linux, it cannot be
perfect for me.

I think your issue is not with Linux, but with Solidworks.

That is a good point and it is open to debate. I declare that Linux is
not perfect because it cannot run Solidworks, which I need for work.
However, my activity is centered on the opposite front: I have written
to Solidworks and it's distributors inquiring about future versions
either having native Linux ports, or being compiled against a stable
Wine branch. If you'd like to help me, here is a list of addresses to
contact:
http://www.solidworks.com/sw/contact-information.htm

Thanks.

--