Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:15:24 -0700

And do we still cling to the notion that local content index and
search is unnecessary??

And if you do, wait until you collect 5 GB of PDF, gzip-compressed
PostScript and HTML documents, as I have...

The argument is that the way the math works out for me, with
indexing, I suffer slowness 100% of the time in order to get a speed
up 1% of the time.

That math is backwards to me, and it's far worse than merely 100 to 1
in reality.

I don't know what indexer you refer to (there are many), but people's
experience with Beagle seems mixed, though we mostly hear the gripes in
these parts.

But as far as the indexer I use, Google Desktop, is concerned, in my
experience this is not at all the case. It's demands are modest,
metered and sensitive to other system activity. Apart from the couple
of times that it has gone into a loop, it has never bother me in any
way.

On my system Google Desktop currently has indexed:

23,279 Email messages
4,818 Web history pages
94,302 Documents
19,301 Media files
46 "other"

It is never obtrusive in its operation.

In my view, resistance to indexing the contents of one's personal
information cache is perverse.

Brian K. White

Randall Schulz