Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:35:47 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2008-09-23 at 17:40 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

I guess the way around that is to have two rsync jobs being one for
the mail directories and the other for only the document directories?

Or more frequent backups. Those are the cases where raid does not help: both
copies of the document wold be broken.

Restoring email queues is not so simple, anyway, maybe you could end
resending mail already sent. I think that often it is better to leave the
email as lost and resend from the client if needed. This is a situation for
which RAID is better, IMO.

A different thing would be a pop/imap server.
What would be different?

A sending smtp server does not stores many emails, they are sent as soon as possible. There is almost no point in backup.

A receiving server can store millions of emails.

I ask as it is actually a one person IMAP
Dovecot, Postfix,SpamAssassin, Procamil mailserver store I aim to
setup. The main purpose of the mail server is to lose as little email,
if any email, at all. How can I ensure that no received mail since the
last mirror/backup is not lost? Resending email already sent is fine,
losing email already received is unacceptable as I will not know who
to ask to resend?

Then the alternative is to store every email, as soon as it arrives, on two disks or servers. Notice that, as both are running continuosly, any of them could break as often as the other.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.