Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hyltonconacher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 17:40:48 +0200

2008/9/23 Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <>:

2008/9/23 Carlos E. R. <>:

The backup has an advantage: you can recover from a software crash or
finger
error: the other disk is not mounted, so nothing is written to it "yet".
On
a raid, both copies would have the same wrong data.

The downside is that the machine is going to be a file/print/mail
server and while I may have a backup as of yesterday, if I screw up a
document, I cannot simply just restore the backup as other email would
have been added to the live mail server that would be lost if it was
restored from the offline backup.
I guess the way around that is to have two rsync jobs being one for
the mail directories and the other for only the document directories?

Or more frequent backups. Those are the cases where raid does not help: both
copies of the document wold be broken.

Restoring email queues is not so simple, anyway, maybe you could end
resending mail already sent. I think that often it is better to leave the
email as lost and resend from the client if needed. This is a situation for
which RAID is better, IMO.

A different thing would be a pop/imap server.
What would be different? I ask as it is actually a one person IMAP
Dovecot, Postfix,SpamAssassin, Procamil mailserver store I aim to
setup. The main purpose of the mail server is to lose as little email,
if any email, at all. How can I ensure that no received mail since the
last mirror/backup is not lost? Resending email already sent is fine,
losing email already received is unacceptable as I will not know who
to ask to resend?

Would running rsync continuously on the mail directories, and only at
day end on the documents be possible?

Regards
Hylton