Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 16:39:31 +0200 (CEST)

2008/9/23 Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) <>:
2008/9/23 Carlos E. R. <>:

The backup has an advantage: you can recover from a software crash or finger
error: the other disk is not mounted, so nothing is written to it "yet". On
a raid, both copies would have the same wrong data.

The downside is that the machine is going to be a file/print/mail
server and while I may have a backup as of yesterday, if I screw up a
document, I cannot simply just restore the backup as other email would
have been added to the live mail server that would be lost if it was
restored from the offline backup.
I guess the way around that is to have two rsync jobs being one for
the mail directories and the other for only the document directories?

Or more frequent backups. Those are the cases where raid does not help: both copies of the document wold be broken.

Restoring email queues is not so simple, anyway, maybe you could end resending mail already sent. I think that often it is better to leave the email as lost and resend from the client if needed. This is a situation for which RAID is better, IMO.

A different thing would be a pop/imap server.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.