Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: Neil <hok.krat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:15:24 +0200
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
2008/9/22 Andrew Joakimsen <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

<snip>

No because I've already "been there" and "done that" -- It is
IMPOSSIBLE to recover a RAID-1 array that just one day (after properly
shutting down the system and not having hardware failures) decided not
to boot.

Ahhh, now this is interesting :) The main reason I was creating the
RAID1 array was so that if one drive failed, I could receive a message
from mdadm, swop out the bad drive and continue working, without
losing data.

In view of the above comment, I guess it is time I ordered the 3rd HDD
and rather setup RAID5.

No Hylton. Andrew just had one bad experience. You can use Soft RAID1
with no problem. I use both RAID1 and RAID5 on several machines and, if
a drive "dies", I get a message from mdadm stating it. I can also change
the faulty HD with no downtime at all ( depending on your hardware ).
IMO, you should take Andrew's experience as Linux Software RAID is not
perfect. Well... nothing is... but IMO, it is very close to it :)

Hi

I decided to but in at this point because one important side of the
issue isn't vieuwed and a question not asked to Andrew and Rui:
What brand of harddisks did you use?
I cannot imagine that the warnings of mdadm are NOT suplier dependant.
(Since I want to experiment a bit more with soft raid next system this
is verry important to me)

Neil

--
There are three kinds of people: Those who can count, and those who cannot count