Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hyltonconacher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:27:01 +0200
2008/9/22 Andrew Joakimsen <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

<snip>

No because I've already "been there" and "done that" -- It is
IMPOSSIBLE to recover a RAID-1 array that just one day (after properly
shutting down the system and not having hardware failures) decided not
to boot.

Ahhh, now this is interesting :) The main reason I was creating the
RAID1 array was so that if one drive failed, I could receive a message
from mdadm, swop out the bad drive and continue working, without
losing data.

In view of the above comment, I guess it is time I ordered the 3rd HDD
and rather setup RAID5.

<snip>

Maybe the issue is not mdadm but instead openSUSE 11.0? Either way I'd
advise to stay away from md RAID and its horrible mdadm tool. For me I
prefer to switch to hardware RAID cards and keep on using openSUSE.

HW RAID cards are a MAJOR expense for a home hobbyist who just likes
to make sure their data is retrievablein the event of a HDD crash.

Regards
Hylton