Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:05:50 -0700
On Monday 22 September 2008 17:56, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Monday 2008-09-22 at 17:45 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Monday 22 September 2008 16:21, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Monday 2008-09-22 at 19:01 -0400, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
There is a howto, and it is included with the distro.

On what page of the manual? I never saw it....

The howtos are not part of the manuals, they are independent, and
often by different authors:

cer@nimrodel:~> ls /usr/share/doc/howto/en/txt/ | grep -i raid
ATA-RAID-HOWTO.gz
Antares-RAID-sparcLinux-HOWTO.gz
Boot+Root+Raid+LILO.gz
DPT-Hardware-RAID-HOWTO.gz
Linux-Promise-RAID1-HOWTO.gz
Root-RAID-HOWTO.gz
Software-RAID-0.4x-HOWTO.gz
Software-RAID-HOWTO.gz

And do we still cling to the notion that local content index and
search is unnecessary??

What do you mean? I said nothing about indexing or searching.

No, you didn't, and I wasn't really addressing you, but rather the
person who (at least possibly) had the information they needed on their
very own disk but was unaware of it and (presumably) had no real way to
find it, lacking specific knowledge of its existence and whereabouts.

This goes to the oft-repeated assertion that "locate", "find" and
maybe "grep" are all one needs to manage content on a desktop or
workstation installation of Linux. I cannot agree, and I think this is
just one example coming to the surface at the moment that refutes that
claim.

And if you do, wait until you collect 5 GB of PDF, gzip-compressed
PostScript and HTML documents, as I have...

The howtos are less than 10 megas.

Of course. And if they were the only documents on a system, one could
indeed just use grep. But who does not accumulate a lot of
documentation (and / or email, for that matter), whether part of the
distribution or separately acquired, that would not benefit from being
indexed and searchable, á là Beagle, Google Desktop or other document
indexing system?

--
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.