Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 14:20:55 -0400
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That page is 4 years out of date, so maybe a current page will give
you a little more confidence?

No because I've already "been there" and "done that" -- It is
IMPOSSIBLE to recover a RAID-1 array that just one day (after properly
shutting down the system and not having hardware failures) decided not
to boot.

The funny thing is there was a system with a similar software setup
(openSUSE 11.0 w/ no GUI) and hardware (same mainboard.. ASUS P4P)
that a week later had the same exact failure, again the hard disks
tested fine, the data on the individual partitions could be read, just
that mdadm did not want to work.

Maybe the issue is not mdadm but instead openSUSE 11.0? Either way I'd
advise to stay away from md RAID and its horrible mdadm tool. For me I
prefer to switch to hardware RAID cards and keep on using openSUSE.