Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "Andrew Joakimsen" <joakimsen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:54:13 -0400
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Rui Santos <rsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
3) Interoperability. With most Intel's chipsets you can hotplug your
HD's. Just use the mdadm tool to remove the HD from the array, remove
the HD, add a new one and rebuild your array. You can do this while your
machine is in production mode. I believe you are unable to do that with
a mobo pseudo-raid ?

You forgot to mention that mdadm is CRAP. I will de-sync the array for
no reason and there is no way to force a rebuild. You will end up
having to rebuild the array. Raid 0 & 5 will suffer full data loss.

Also, the md RAID webpage *REALLY* instills confidence:
http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/SoftRaid