Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:39:55 -0400
On 2008/09/21 17:34 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

On 2008/09/20 15:37 (GMT-0400) Per Jessen composed:

Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

I see 11.0 has an option under the partitioner in YAST for RAID and
I am wondering if thee 11.0 install will allow me to create the RAID
array and set it up if it detects two drives of the same size and
with identical partitions?

Yes it will.

If you have a RAID1 BIOS built into the motherboard, are there any
reasons not to use it, as opposed to just using pure software RAID1?

With software RAID, you get to use mdadmd to monitor your array.

I don't know whether "get to" is a good thing or a bad thing. Now I don't use
any RAID, and don't do any "monitoring" of ordinary HDs. What's to monitor?
Can't I perform similar function with the RAID BIOS utility?

Surely there must be some advantage of ICH8R chip over ICH8 chip. BIOS RAID
is certainly not 100% in the motherboard BIOS if accompanied by other
function incorporated into I/O chip (ICH9R) or by additional I/O chip
(IT821x), and cost more than motherboard that has neither.
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain." Psalm 127:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/