Re: [opensuse] Percentage of blocks reserved for root on ext3 formatted partitions
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:04:09 -0400
On 2008/09/21 18:11 (GMT+0100) Bob Williams composed:

On Sunday 21 September 2008 17:55:56 Ken Schneider wrote:

Bob Williams pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

In Yast Partitioner, when formatting a partition as ext3, there is an
option described as 'Percentage of blocks reserved for root'. The default
value is 'auto' = 5%

What does this mean? Is 5% of the partition not available to an ordinary
user?

That is correct. The 5% is reserved for logs that get too big or root,
more correctly so root can log in and create his login temp files while
working to free up space. This number can be changed but never change it to
0.

Also, the reserved space is non-existent in df output. As root, you can still
grow files after disk use hits 100%.

Do you think 1% (equivalent to 7.5GB in my example above) would be
sufficient?
I'm talking about an external SATA drive that's used for backups and archives.

Probably depends on actual usage of the space it contains. If I ever actually
used a triple digit partition size, I certainly would reduce it.

For storing infrequently written mostly A/V &/or iso files, you might
consider also using ext2, and having no journal files eating into available
space or cutting into net I/O speed.
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain." Psalm 127:1 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/