Re: [opensuse] Percentage of blocks reserved for root on ext3 formatted partitions
  • From: Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:11:45 +0100
On Sunday 21 September 2008 17:55:56 Ken Schneider wrote:
Bob Williams pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
In Yast Partitioner, when formatting a partition as ext3, there is an
option described as 'Percentage of blocks reserved for root'. The default
value is 'auto' = 5%

What does this mean? Is 5% of the partition not available to an ordinary
user?

Bob

That is correct. The 5% is reserved for logs that get too big or root,
more correctly so root can log in and create his login temp files while
working to free up space. This number can be changed but never change it to
0.

That's very interesting. On a 750GB disc, the amount allocated to root is
therefore 37.5GB, which seems a mighty big log file. Or does it function as a
kind of local swapfile if the disc gets too full? Similar to Windows
defragmenter needing 15% freespace.

Do you think 1% (equivalent to 7.5GB in my example above) would be sufficient?
I'm talking about an external SATA drive that's used for backups and archives.

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E