Re: [opensuse] 10.2 no RAID to 11.0 RAID 1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:55:55 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2008-09-21 at 07:38 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

Exactly, this is why. Real hardware raid is faster, there is no
intervention from the cpu. All is done by the card hardware.

No one was disputing the superiority of hardware RAID over software RAID, but
hardware RAID was not among the options being compared.

Then let me put it in different words: there being no speed advantage of fake raid over software raid, the choice is obvious: either full hardware, or full software. I was not propossing to use full hardware.

Therefore

HWR not relevant, so nothing can flow from the point.

PFFFFF!

Common, get real. If you take things like that, aggressively, then I'll put my opinion bluntly:

It is relevant. I don't consider fake raid as an option. I want either
real hardware raid, or full software raid, and opensource as that. I
want no fakes. I hate fake modems, fake wifi cards, fake tv cards, fake
printers, fakes etcetera. I want real things.

Non portable means that if your mobo dies, you can not put your raid into
a mobo of a different make. You need one with the same type of bios raid.

By definition, we are only talking simple RAID mirroring here. I don't see
how anyone wouldn't be able to put a pair of disks in another machine, and
use the built in setup program to choose re-make mirror set from the disks
provided.

Oh, yes, because I have seen fake raid disks, in perfect good condition, fail because the mobo failed, and the data be irretrievable because no other mobo was able to use them. They had to be reformatted in full, all data lost.

I have been bitten. I don not want any fake raid near me or anybody I might support. There are no advantages in fake raid that I can see. They are good for windows, I suppose.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.