Re: [opensuse] Problems growing a logical volume with LVM tools.
  • From: vinai <vroopcha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 09:39:46 -0500 (CDT)
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Ciro Iriarte wrote:

2008/9/19 Vinai Roopchansingh <vroopcha@xxxxxxx>:

First off - the setup is a 4U rack-mounted server running openSUSE 10.3
64-bit, with all updates installed. There are 16 hard drives are split up
into 2 8-disk RAID-5 volumes using a 3ware hardware SATA controller card.
Each volume was made up of disks that were previously 400 GB, but now
upgraded to 1 TB, hence the total volume size grew from 2.4 TB to 6.3 TB.
The initial setup on this machine did not include LVM, and I would like to
implement it to handle future size increases. Bot I am stuck at the final
step of extending the logical volume. Here's what I did so far:

- On the 6.3 TB RAID-5 volume, I created a partition (with parted, type GPT,
with the lvm flag on). This partition was 2.4 (or thereabouts) in size, to
simulate the growth from 2.4 to 6.3 TB (we were previously able to grow the
underlying RAID-5 volume successfully).

- I made this partition (sdc1) a physical volume.

- I then made a volume group (array2) from this single partition

- After that, I made a logical volume (rd2) from the array2 volume group

- I used parted and mkfs on this logical partition (rd2) to create a
partition with the "loop" label and format it.

- I put some data on there and ran a checksum.

- Then I unmounted the rd2 logical partition from the computer's file
system.

- I ran pvresize on it and maxed out the number of extents available on the
physical volume successfully.

- I repeated the same for vgresize successfully.

- And finally (or so I thought) I ran lvextend to resize the logical volume.
But here's where I ran into issues. Here's the command I've been trying
and the output:

# lvresize -d -v -l 1668910 /dev/array2/rd2
Finding volume group array2
Archiving volume group "array2" metadata (seqno 4).
Extending logical volume rd2 to 6.37 TB
Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/array2" (seqno 5).
Found volume group "array2"
Found volume group "array2"
device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
Failed to suspend rd2

The size of the logical volume does not change. I even tried this using the
GUI in YaST2, but the error message that popped up was essentially the same
thing. What did I miss, or what I am not doing ? I got the same results
with "lvextend" ...

Thanks all.

cheers
vinai

Can you post this info?:

- parted -l /dev/sdc

Model: ATA ST3808110AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 1078MB 1077MB primary , , , , , , , , , type=82, ,
2 1078MB 80.0GB 78.9GB primary ext3 boot, , , , , , , , , type=83, ,

Model: AMCC 9500S-8 DISK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 7000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 17.4kB 7000GB 7000GB , , , , , lvm, , , , , ,

Model: AMCC 9500S-8 DISK (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 7000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 17.4kB 2800GB 2800GB primary , , , , , lvm, , , , , ,

- pvdisplay

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sdc1
VG Name array2
PV Size 6.37 TB / not usable 3.57 MB
Allocatable yes
PE Size (KByte) 4096
Total PE 1668910
Free PE 1001339
Allocated PE 667571
PV UUID rbsmDW-8zxk-TCNJ-AF8N-v7wr-UP0B-DfeKZ8

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sdb1
VG Name array1
PV Size 6.37 TB / not usable 3.97 MB
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size (KByte) 4096
Total PE 1668911
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 1668911
PV UUID XHPMTj-ZGHD-3uLi-NBKg-Tir8-aeVn-BTkrhu

- vgdisplay

--- Volume group ---
VG Name array2
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 4
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 1668910
Cur LV 1
Open LV 0
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 6.37 TB
PE Size 4.00 MB
Total PE 1668910
Alloc PE / Size 667571 / 2.55 TB
Free PE / Size 1001339 / 3.82 TB
VG UUID m2ATs2-75dX-Uy90-mzo2-j2lM-wbhH-i8L6kb

--- Volume group ---
VG Name array1
System ID
Format lvm2
Metadata Areas 1
Metadata Sequence No 2
VG Access read/write
VG Status resizable
MAX LV 0
Cur LV 1
Open LV 1
Max PV 0
Cur PV 1
Act PV 1
VG Size 6.37 TB
PE Size 4.00 MB
Total PE 1668911
Alloc PE / Size 1668911 / 6.37 TB
Free PE / Size 0 / 0
VG UUID smTgPg-bgU1-voE4-SYWO-1cWX-KPYw-VOT8Z2

- lvdisplay

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/array2/rd2
VG Name array2
LV UUID yf0Yhj-VbhB-13dg-fapz-g644-Dojh-rKkYIR
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 0
LV Size 2.55 TB
Current LE 667571
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0
Block device 253:0

--- Logical volume ---
LV Name /dev/array1/rd1
VG Name array1
LV UUID hKF4R6-xXlI-TORe-IN3p-M2JS-vSqn-KHEA5b
LV Write Access read/write
LV Status available
# open 1
LV Size 6.37 TB
Current LE 1668911
Segments 1
Allocation inherit
Read ahead sectors 0
Block device 253:1

Just checking, did you reboot after your last kernel update?

Absolutely ...

Thanks all. Let me know if there's any other information I can provide ...

cheers
vinai